Did you gain a few pounds this winter? Do you feel like your body is carrying around a little bit more than it should and you just.. feel.. HEAVY? Unexpected weight gain is frustrating, and a drag on your energy. It’s even more frustrating when you feel you are doing the right things but it still won’t come off, especially since summer is just around the corner and you want to rock that sleeveless dress!
But relax – because right now is the BEST time of the year to start shedding that winter weight without the exhaustion of doing it. In fact, your body has already started setting you for success!
What do I mean? Every spring, our bodies are naturally programmed to cleanse and detox. Amazing, right? We have a built-in detoxification system (kidneys, liver, lymph and intestines) that starts to flush fat and toxins out of our bodies this time each year, and the body starts to burn its own fat for fuel!
Think of an air conditioner filter. Every time you run the A/C, dust collects in the filters and pipes, so it is essential to swap filters before they get too clogged. If you don’t, that dust and grime just shoots back out of your vents, and your A/C won’t work properly either. Similarly, every day you are taking in pollution, toxins, stress and maybe some not-so-good-for-you foods. Your body does a pretty good job at keeping up, BUT if you don’t swap the filters with a good spring clean, things get clogged and you are suddenly suffering from weight gain, allergies, digestive issues, headaches or other ailments.
So, how do you help your body detox and shed the weight? Well, like spring cleaning your home, you want to get out the broom and pan, open the windows , get rid of what is no longer needed, wash away winter’s heavy grime and dust, and let the fresh air in. Lucky for us, nature gives us the tools to do just that.
FOLLOW MY 5 TIPS TO SHED YOUR WINTER WEIGHT and you will start to see the weight fall off and your pipes unclog.
- First thing in the morning, drink warm water with fresh squeezed lemon to activate your liver and move the roughage that stays behind in your intestines.
- Concentrate on seasonal foods: Dark green vegetables like kale, broccoli, watercress, cilantro and dandelion greens, seaweed, onions, garlic,
peas, asparagus, sprouts and berries. These foods help to break down fat and clean your pipes.
- Stay away from heavy meats and dairy, and incorporate lighter proteins like lean meat, beans, nuts, seeds and legumes.
- Avoid toxic foods such as high fructose corn and artificial sweeteners. Also avoid tobacco, alcohol, sugar and processed foods. Cutting back even a little bit can make a huge difference in your body’s ability to handle daily toxins and flush out old ones.
- Eat as organically as you can. Pesticides and other chemicals on our food will compromise your detoxing. Reduce your toxic load by choosing organic fruits and vegetables, and animal products raised without hormones or antibiotics.
However you choose to cleanse, remember to pay attention to your body. Cutting out coffee, processed foods, dairy or meat may produce some withdrawal effects, but those shouldn’t last more than a few days. If you are feeling bad beyond a few days, make sure you check in with yourself. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating enough? Are you making time to let go of stress or other emotions? These components are also critical to a successful Spring Clean.
Disclaimer: When you do a Spring Clean you will notice yourself become different. You will notice your skin brighten and your mood change. It may result in clearer thinking, less brain fog AND those last 5 pounds may just slide right off.
Are you ready to get started? Contact me for a Discovery session!