So let me admit it right here and now – I have a sweet tooth and I LOVE cookies. In fact, my willpower seems to just go out the door when a cookie is placed in front of me (an organic, gluten free dark chocolate chip one that is!). Have you ever felt that way? That no matter what courage or willpower you might be able to muster up in the face of temptation, sometimes it just isn’t possible. It isn’t even probable. Your weakness is the cookie, or the cake, or the chocolate.
So why fight it?
Why agonize over what you cannot or should not have?
Haven’t we learned that already makes things worse?
So what is the solution?
Well, you have two options. Either eat the cookie, but promise yourself no guilt or shame in doing so, and enjoy that cookie (that ONE cookie) thoroughly – savoring each bite. OR make a healthier version of what you love.
That’s where my Power Cookie Balls come in.
These cookies taste like raw cookie dough rolled up in a sweet bite. Using healthy ingredients like rolled oats, hemp seeds, coconut oil, dried tart cherries and dark chocolate chips, your combinations are endless and a sweet treat for your taste buds.
Recently, I had the privilege of teaching K-2 grade students at my daughter’s school how to make these. Not only were they fun to make, but also enthusiastically approved by all the kids!
So if you are looking for a family-friendly, taste bud satisfying, low in sugar, allergy-friendly treat, be sure to make these at home!
Makes about 12 small cookies
½ cup gluten free rolled oats •2 tablespoons shredded dried coconut
½ cup hulled hemp seeds •1/4 cup dried cherries
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil •1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 fresh dates, pitted • A bit of water, about 1 Tablespoon
- Put oats, salt and hemp seeds in a food processor and blend together until finely ground.
- Then add in dates and coconut oil. Blend on low until
- Add in the coconut & cherries and pulse a few times until blended. Add about a Tablespoon of water until it starts to clump together.
- It should be somewhat sticky. Simply scoop out a teaspoon and form little cookies with your hands. Eat immediately or freeze for later. Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
Makes about 12 small cookie balls
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Sunflower Seed butter or your nut butter of choice
- 5 fresh dates, pitted
- A bit of water
- ¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips
1. In a food processor, blend on low oats, and cinnamon, flax and pumpkin seeds until finely ground.
2. Then add in dates and nut butter and pulse until combined, slowly adding in water until it forms a sticky paste.
3. With clean hands, roll into balls
4. Add in chocolate chips and pulse a few times until combined or mix with a spoon.
5. Enjoy immediately or pop in fridge or freezer for another time.